ROASTED HEIRLOOM CARROT SALAD WITH LEMON YOGURT SAUCE
This gourmet-inspired vegetarian salad makes a perfect lunch or a hearty side dish that’s both healthy and satisfying. Don’t be daunted by the ingredients list – there’s not much to do to prepare, but everything put together makes for a great combination of flavours and texture. Sprinkle a little bit of Kelp Sea Salt Flakes at the table to finish this delicious dish!
Heirloom carrots are not just gorgeous to look at, but they are nutrient dense and make for a great addition to a varied and healthy diet. Here’s what you’re getting when you “eat the rainbow” (source: Time Magazine: Eat This Now: Rainbow Carrots by Alexandra Sifferlin):
- Orange: Beta and alpha carotene pigment. This promotes vitamin A production by the body, which is essential for healthy eyes.
- Purple: Anthocyanin, beta and alpha carotene pigment. Purple carrots typically have an orange core, and their pigment-related nutrients may provide additional vitamin A and prevent heart disease.
- Red: Lycopene and beta-carotene pigment. Lycopene is the same red pigment that gives tomatoes their deep color and is linked to a lower risk of certain cancers, such as prostate cancer.
- Yellow: Xanthophykks and lutein. Both are linked to cancer prevention and better eye health.
- White: The nutrients don’t come from the pigment but from the fiber, which promotes healthy digestion.
Roasted Carrot Salad with Lemon Yogurt Sauce
- 1 bunch heirloom carrots
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp Vancouver Island Sea Salt (fine)
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt (plain)
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pc red Thai chili pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp Vancouver Island Sea Salt (fine)
- 3 cups arugula
- 3 cups radicchio, torn
- 1 cup cooked French green lentils
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- Vancouver Island Sea Salt – Kelp Salt
- Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C).
- Toss together carrots, oil, thyme, honey, garlic, cumin, Fine Sea Salt, coriander, pepper and cinnamon. Arrange on parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and tender.
- Whisk together yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice, cider vinegar, oil, garlic, chili pepper and Fine Sea Salt.
- Toss together arugula and radicchio. Divide among 4 plates. Scatter lentils over top; arrange carrots on top. Drizzle with yogurt sauce. Garnish with pumpkin seeds and cilantro. Sprinkle with Kelp Sea Salt Flakes to finish.
- Substitute chickpeas for lentils if desired.
- Trim heirloom carrot tops keeping approximately 1 cm or half an inch of the stems. There’s no need to peel the carrots, just scrub under water to get rid of any dirt. Cut any carrots with a diameter of more than 1 inch in half lengthwise to ensure even cooking.
- We recommend our Kelp Sea Salt Flakes to finish this dish to give an umami boost and for the naturally-occurring trace minerals found in Canadian Kelp and our locally harvested sea salt.